From the Inside, Part I

I am home. I am thankful. I am quite exhausted. Now the real work begins…Surgery on the 3rd of March, discharged on the 8th and a whole lot of uggghh throughout.

To bring it back, my parent’s and I drove to Oakland the day before the surgery in order to get some final blood work completed for the doctor. Just in case, I was to take a sample for the blood bank so that they could prepare me to receive a transfusion the next day if needed. My big sis, Lori-Lynn, aka, my mighty supportive force, my confidant, my biggest protector and greatest fan…flew into San Francisco International Airport that afternoon to meet us for the big event. We picked her up, and against my father’s greatest desires (he’s really a country boy at heart, he hates crowds and it was raining pretty heavily), but because he loves me even more than he dislikes the big city, we headed to the assumed crowded Fisherman’s Wharf for what was to be a quick stop for (the last meal before tongue is severely changed) clam chowder bowls but turned into an afternoon that was restful, rejuvenating and a whole lot of hilarious in between!

What I have always loved about my family is our ability to make good of every situation. That, and we have perfected the art of anything…at anyone…mostly ourselves and each other. So as we journeyed to the wharf that day, we laughed at everything. We commented endlessly on what a beautiful day it turned out to be…the clouds parted for the remainder of the day and we were blessed with sunshine and a rare but beautifully clear view of the Golden Gate Bridge. And the crowds were non-existent, making the day actually tolerable for my father, some would look back and say he even found himself having fun! 🙂 We enjoyed clam chowder bowls from Boudini’s and then ventured out for ice cream at Ghirardelli Square, all the while taking in the sites and typical sounds of San Fran. We ran across the “bush man” a street performer (street sitter) who hides behind a large branch and screams at those passing by in an effort to make some quick cash because of his great ability to strike fear into the hearts of others. Of course, my family couldn’t just let that go…my parent’s decided, why should the bush man have all the fun? As he prepared for his next victim walking by, they walked up behind him and growled ferociously, causing him to jump back and laugh, knowing that he in fact now owed them a dollar. We looked on as a crazy person decided to swim in the bay, debating about whether or not he had a wetsuit on and then to my excitement fell upon the filming site of the show “Trauma” which just happens to be one of my favorites to watch! The rest of the afternoon, I kept praying, “God, if you wanna bring some paramedics into my life at this moment, I would not mind if it were the cast of Trauma. Amen.” I had to clarify paramedics from the show, otherwise, with my current luck, things could have gotten out of hand in a big way! Well, the paramedics never came, but the day was amazing and exactly what we needed. That evening, we met my grandparents at the hotel (4 nights paid for by my church family at the lovely Courtyard Marriott), who had traveled from Reno, NV to be there for the surgery. There was more laughter and even some tears, but more than anything, there was a whole lot of lovin and I went to bed ready to tackle what was to come. Sleep was futile that night, but the bed was comfy as I watched the minutes tick by, waiting for our early wake up call.

6 a.m. hospital arrival as it took 2 hours to prepare my body for the upcoming journey. The nurses were incredible as they poked and secured the IV’s and walked me through the next steps. My family took turns coming into the room and we shared last minute words of encouragement as I modeled my lovely hospital gown, my tan sock/booties and my powder blue hair cap. Shortly after 8 a.m. the nurse walked me to the operating room where they had me lay down on an extremely cold table as the surgeons went through their final check list and plan of attack. The next thing I knew, I was awake in recovery. Then I was transported to TCU, one level lower than ICU. Then I was waiting for my family to show up. I think we finally connected at 7 p.m. that night. And as they surveyed the damage (feeding tube, oxygen mask, drains hanging from my neck, large bandages around my chin and the left side of my neck), they also gave me the good news that the surgery had been a success and the doctor’s couldn’t have asked for a smoother procedure. They weren’t able to stay long as visiting hours were almost over and no one was allowed overnight, so I began my first hours of waiting, alone, but with a comfort from my God that I have never felt before in my 30 years of life.


7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. angielamberth
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 16:03:10

    so thankful to God for the successful surgery!


  2. Vicki Bishop
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 16:32:36

    Thank you, God, for what you are doing for our dear Kelli! What a magnificent God you are! We love you and we love Kelli! Amen.


  3. Heidi
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 16:40:07

    Thank you for sharing the details. It is cool to see how God has answered specific prayers ..I love hearing how God ordered the details…Continuing to pray.


  4. Linda
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 20:31:11

    Praise God! What priceless memories … You had me in tears of joy! God bless you Kelli … here’s to a speedy recovery! Wishes from Linda in Orange County.


  5. Jaime McWhorter
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 20:56:51

    Kelli…I am praising God for getting you through this step and onto the next. If anyone can handle this with grace, faith and humor, it’s you. We will continue praying as you recover. THanks for keeping us posted. Love you!


  6. Brandi
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 21:15:56

    Praising God for the good news! Will be keeping you in my prayers, Kelli.


  7. Stephanie
    Mar 12, 2010 @ 06:49:35

    Yeah Kelli–So good to see your writing–I am happy that you are home and with your family. I hope that you are not experiencing any pain and wish you a very very speedy recovery Renae and I can’t wait to come see you –when you are ready of course. Miss you tons!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: